Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crispy Oven Baked Fries

Crispy Oven Baked Fries? Forget it!! It can't be true!! Honestly, I've never cared for oven baked fries because, no matter what I did, I just couldn't get them as crispy as the ones fried in a truckload of oil! So, I've experimented the past few months and I think I've figured out a few little secrets that seem to help. First I cut my potatoes in the morning while Funny Bun is eating his breakfast. Then I let them soak in a bowl of water in the fridge until it's time to start supper. This helps draw some of the starch out of the potatoes, which causes the less-than-desired sogginess of the fries. I also add a little sugar when I'm mixing the potatoes with the spices. That just helps get that crunchier coating on the fries.

Here's the Recipe:
4 Russet Potatoes, cut into strips or wedges
Olive Oil
Your choice of seasonings (For these fries I used Paprika, Basil, Oregano, Parsley, and Sea Salt)
1-2 tsp of sugar
Parmesan Cheese (optional)

After letting your potatoes soak in water all day, drain and dry them. Drizzle with olive oil and add seasonings, sugar, and parmesan cheese.



Toss potatoes until they are covered. Arrange in a single layer on cookie sheet or baking pan. A pizza stone also works great for this! Too bad I broke mine!




Bake in a 425 degree oven for around 30 minutes or until they reach the desired crispiness. It also helps to turn the potatoes halfway through cooking or turn the oven on low broil for the last 5 minutes or so.



Serve with a side of seasoned low fat sour cream...delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment